Best Barbecue Pork Ribs in Manhattan
|Photograph: Jessica Leibowitz at Serious Eats|
OK. I'll wait.
OK, children settle down now. Stop the laughing. Yes - the title of this post is the "Best Barbecue Pork Ribs in Manhattan," as in New York City. Yes, we do have multiple true barbecue restaurants in Manhattan and even more in Brooklyn. And today, we'll talk about the "best" pork barbecue ribs in Manhattan. Are they the best in the nation? No one said that, so you Southerners. Relax. We're not taking the crown just yet.
James Boo, Seriouseats.com NY's budding barbecue expert invited me, my buddy Ned Berke of Sheepsheadbites.com, Edible Queens blogger and 'cue enthusiast Joe DiStefano (known in certain circles as "Joey Deckle"), barbecue ambassador Amy Mills to join the staff and judge Manhattan's best pork barbecue ribs and the results are surprising.
Here's what happened, as James tells on Serious Eats...
This tasting focused on smoked pork ribs available for dine-in or take-out in Manhattan. Choices were based on our informal poll on SENY and the Barbecue Bureau's top choices. We purchased half-racks of spare ribs to-go from each restaurant, with the exception of Rack and Soul, which only serves baby back ribs:
- Blue Smoke: Kansas City Spareribs
- Daisy May's BBQ: Kansas City Sweet and Sticky Pork Ribs
- Daisy May's BBQ: Memphis Dry Rub Pork Ribs
- Dinosaur Barbeque Harlem: St. Louis Bar-B-Que Spare Ribs
- Hill Country New York: Pork spare ribs
- Rack and Soul: BBQ: Baby Back Ribs
- RUB: St. Louis-Style Long End"
When we sat down I thought I recognized a couple of the ribs, but as I was eating them I honestly lost my preconceived notions. I knew RUB was there. So was Daisy May, Blue Smoke and Hill Country. I saw them on the plates lined up for tasting, but by the time a rib got to my plate I had no idea which restaurant produced it. Joey Deckle was distributing the ribs to the plate and we were all sharing ribs. Trying to figure out where 1/2 a rib came from was a useless pursuit. So my dear readers, this was true blind judging.
- Rack and Soul's BBQ Baby Back Ribs (7.8/10)
- Daisy May's BBQ's Kansas City Sweet and Sticky Pork Ribs (7.3/10)
- Daisy May's BBQ's Memphis Dry Rub Pork Ribs(6.8/10)
- Hill Country New York's Pork Spare Ribs (6.3/10)
- Dinosaur Barbeque Harlem's St. Louis Bar-B-Que Spare Ribs (6.1/10)
- Blue Smoke's Kansas City Spare Ribs (5.5/10)
- RUB's St. Louis-Style Long End (4.5/10)