.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Friday, June 05, 2009

Going Down on Daisy

Yesterday I picked up a copy of Adam Perry Lang's new cookbook Serious Barbecue. This is an outstanding book and a review will be coming toot sweet, but not today. Today I have a different story to tell.

After leaving the book store, I high tailed it down to Daisy May's (Adam Perry Lang's NYC BBQ joint) with the hope that Adam would be there and I could get him to autograph it for me. I knew it was a long shot, but I figured what the hell. The least I'd get out of it was a good meal.

Daisy May's is probably the barbecue restaurant I frequent most. The place is a glorified take out joint which works very well for me in my life as a consultant. I can usually find a parking spot right in front, get my food and get on my way. Going to Daisy May's doesn't require the same time commitment a visit to a sit down joint. It suits me just fine.

When I arrived last night, at about 7 pm, I ordered my food, paid and asked the cashier if Adam was there explaining that I wanted to get his autograph. The cashier asked if I had called first. I told her no, but was hoping to catch Adam. She laughed and said "Adam's never here."

As I was waiting for my food, I started to think about the last time I saw Adam at the restaurant. I consider Adam a friend and every time I'm at Daisy May's I ask for him. About a year ago, I was told by the cashier that "Adam is never here after 5:00pm." OK, makes sense. He's a family guy with two young children. He needs to be home.

About 6 months ago I was told Adam was only there "occasionally." I started hearing rumors that Adam was no longer involved in Daisy May's, but Adam reassured me that he was still at the helm and at Daisy May's "all the time." I still wondered as more stories appeared about Adam working with Mario Batali in Vegas, working with Jamie Oliver in London and working on his book. Had Adam lost interest in Daisy May's?

About 4 months ago, I noticed that the place had become inconsistent in its food. Some visits were outstanding, others, well not so much. Unfortunately, this isn't too uncommon when it comes to barbecue places, but it appeared that Daisy May's was slipping. A couple of months ago, I brought my wife, daughter and two of her friends to Daisy Mays for lunch. Something was definitely off; cold food, burnt ribs, everything over salted. About the same time, I sent a friend and his wife there for dinner. They weren't happy.

Last night, since I had time to sit down, I ordered the brisket plate with baked beans and macaroni and cheese, (8oz of chopped brisket and two sides for $14.) and a quart of sweet tea ($4). The tea as always was fantastic, minty with just the right sweetness. The brisket was horrendous, overly sweet and mostly chunks of fat. The beans which claim to be made with burnt ends, were also studded with these same chunks of fat. The macaroni and cheese was so over cooked that it could have easily passed for mush. Diners on both sides of me were complaining to each other that they hadn't gotten what was ordered.

I'm glad that this wasn't my first visit to Daisy May's because it would have been my last.

It pains me to write this review, as I mentioned, I consider Adam a friend. But when I started this blog I told myself I'd report the good and bad and let the chips fall where they may. Adam agreed with that philosophy back then, I hope he still does.

C'mon home Adam. Daisy needs her man.

Daisy May's BBQ Usa on Urbanspoon

Photgraph of Daisy May's BBQ courtesy of Pig Trip and used with permission. Use of this photograph does not imply that Pig Trip shares my opinions of Daisy May's. For their review of Daisy May's please click here.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

so whats the verdict - should I check out this joint or not?

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I hate it when a fav place like that slides in quality, especially when you sent someone there:(

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger oregonphotography said...

There is a place called Campbell's BBQ in Portland, Oregon that was considered the very best, this even coming from transplanted North Carolinians. It was a mom and pop type thing. They sold the place and moved back to the South.
This was not well publicized. Whoever took it over didn't have a clue, or didn't care. To make a long story short...I had to try it not knowing that they had changed hands. It had to be the worst BBQ I have ever had...so I hear where you are coming from. Best to you!

Thom
BBQing Tips From Deep In The Heart Of Oregon

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Adam Perry Lang a part or full owner of Daisy May's or is he just the "face" of the restaurant ?

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Doggy - Even in its current condition, Daisy May's is easily in the top 10 of BBQ joints in NYC. You should check it out.

Anonymous - I don't know if Adam is full owner or part owner, but I know he is a hell of a lot more than the face.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try finding Paul Kirk at RUB next trip.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Actually in the last year, I've run into Paul Kirk at RUB and Dr. BBQ at Southern Hospitality more often than I've seen Adam at Daisy May's.

The point of the entire post is not a slam at Adam. The point is that the food and service at Daisy May's is slipping and needs to be addressed.

If Adam's moved on so be it. But whoever is at the helm now needs to step up and return Daisy to her former glory.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Terry (aka) Big Daddy said...

That's sad that a place or places do this. Some open up and have killer food, then they sell out or go BS. Can't find people that share the passion or give a rat's behind.

And you look like a fool when you say,"Yeah the food's killer" and it sucks by no fault of your own.

There was a place here that had killer food when we first started going there. Recommended it to a bunch of folks, but by then the service sucked because they had teenagers that cared more about the hookup of friends than service.

Finally put this place out of business. It was a damn shame because they had a killer prime rib sandwich and fries to die for.

B.D.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Chris B. said...

Thank you. I went to this place in Nov 09. I thought it was terrible. Ribs dry, Brisket and pulled pork over sauced as to hide the meat. Sides average. We visited this place based on some really high praise. I even questioned if I went on a really off day. I do not live in NYC so there are too many good BBQ places to try such that I will NEVER go back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!