BBQ Recipes: Grilled Orange Chicken The WhiteTrash Way
I told about the orange chicken.
You know the bbq that was really grillin'
Well here's another version to try
And still look the author in the eye
Looking through a glass onion
So I told you about Charbroil's version of BBQ Orange Chicken. Well I liked the recipe as printed a lot. But I felt it was missing some depth and body, so here's my version of...
Grilled Orange Chicken - The White Trash Way
2 1/2lbs chicken parts
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 Tsp of ground ginger
- 1 Tsp of dried onion powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Zest of one orange
- Light a chimney of charcoal. Meanwhile prepare your grill for a two zone cook. (Don't know what that is - well it will be detailed in a future post.)
- In a medium bowl, mix together all sauce ingredients except salt and pepper, until smooth.
- Place sauce in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute and reduce heat to a simmer. I usually do this on my stove - yes, it is gas powered.
- Let sauce simmer and reduce until it thickens to a light syrup.
- Once the sauce is thick - taste it carefully it could burn your lips. Adjust the seasoning by adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Once your charcoal in the chimney is lit, place it on the hot zone of the grill. Let the grill come to a medium heat.
- Lightly oil your grill grates.
- Lightly salt and pepper your chicken
- Place chicken pieces on grill away from heat, skin side down and cook 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken, and grill for 10 additional minutes.
- Brush chicken with sauce and turn occasionally cooking for an additional 10 minutes.
- Place chicken over direct heat and to char and crisp the skin and sauce. Turning frequently. Do not walk away - This sauce has a lot of sugar and will burn easily.
- Let rest 5 minutes and serve.