I admit it. Grilled chicken is easily and by far my favorite food on the grill. Crispy skin. Sweet sauce. Tender juicy meat. Seared and charred skin. I could eat grilled chicken almost every meal and still be a happy camper. My family - ehh. Not so much. Part of the problem is that I
- love my grilled chicken to be swamped in sauce. The family - ehh, not so much. We need to find a compromise.
Towards that end, I've been playing with various barbecue sauces lately and I came across an interesting one. It's called BBQ Orange Chicken
from the book Everybody Grills
. I enjoy this book, but be warned, it is very much gas grill focused. Recipes from this book will need to be adjusted for cooking on the only true barbecue grill - wood and charcoal.
Notice that I changed the name to Grilled Orange Chicken as we are instructed to grill our chicken, not barbeque it. This recipe produces a light and refreshing very orange tasting barbecue sauce that is a nice departure from the bottled stuff. Enjoy!
BBQ Orange Chicken
2 1/2lbs chicken parts
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Zest of one orange
- Preheat grill to high, if using a gas grill.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all sauce ingredients until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium on one side of the grill and turn off the heat on the other side.
- Place chicken pieces on grill away from heat, skin side down and cook 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken, and grill for 10 additional minutes. Brush chicken with sauce and turn occasionally cooking for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes and serve.
Up next, I'll talk about my additions and modifications of this recipe. "Turn off one side of the grill." Sheesh! Sorry for the excessive blue tones in the picture. It's a new camera and I'm finding its features. Did you know not to have the camera set to incandescent light while photographing in the sun? I didn't. I didn't even know it was an option. Live and learn.
Labels: barbecue, barbeque, bbq, charbroil, chicken, grilling, recipe