.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Last Night's Reduction

Last night I made my first balsamic reduction. I have no idea why I've never made one before, but last night I lost my cherry.

I made a meat loaf for dinner. I don't usually make meat loaf. Meat loaf is the wife's territory. When I make meat loaf, which I don't usually, I usually top the meat loaf with diced tomatoes. Last night I was feeling frisky and I put the diced tomatoes into the meat loaf. But that little act of rebellion created chaos. What was I going to put on top of the meat loaf? Should I allow the meat to be presented naked? Nah, that's way too radical.

I have no idea why I decided on a balsamic reduction as a glaze for the meat loaf. Maybe I've been watching too many cooking shows, but it sounded like a good idea. I had no idea on how to make this so I just winged it.

I took one half cup of balsamic vinegar and put it in a pot and turned up the flame until the vinegar boiled. After it boiled and began to reduce I whisked in one tablespoon of butter. I reduced the heat and let the vinegar boil down until there was about 1/4 cup of liquid in the pot. This reduction was thick, sweet and luminous.

I then took this syrup and brushed it all over the meat loaf, which I had removed from the oven so that I could brush the loaf with abandon. Once said loaf was sufficiently covered in glaze, I put the meat loaf back in the oven and cooked it for about 5 more minutes.

That my friends was good eats.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Reilly Fox said...

Sounds good! I usually add some salsa to my meatloaf. Helps keep it moist.

How large was the loaf and was the 1/4 cup of reduction enough?

Eric Devlin

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Chris said...

That reminds me. I need to try smoking a meat loaf like Paul at the NBBQN forum did last year. Nice blog you have going here.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Eric, I'm not sure how large the loaf was, but it started with one pound of ground meat. And no, 1/4 cup of glaze wasn't enough.

Chris , thanks for the compliments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!