.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Knife Skills?

I've been cooking since I was a little kid. The only formal cooking class I've ever taken was when Paul Kirk came to NYC last year. Most of my training has been with my family and friends. I'm no classical cook, but I can hold my own. I'm often surprised on how many "classic" techniques I already incorporate into my cooking, simply because I was taught that was the proper way to do it.

If I do say so myself I'm a pretty good cook, but there's one area of my expertise that bothers me because it is so lacking. That's my knife skills. I'm working on them, but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

So here's something I'm taping up on the back splash in the kitchen. The proper definitions of the various cuts used by chefs. Let's see if it helps.

  • Brunoise - This Cut is 1/8 by 1/8 by 1/8 inch square.
  • Small Dice - This cut is 1/4 by 1/4 by 1/4 inch square.
  • Medium Dice - This cut is 1/2 by 1/2 by 1/2 inch square.
  • Large Dice - This cut is 3/4 by 3/4 by 3/4 inch square.
  • Julienne - This cut is 1/8 by 1/8 inches by 3 inches long.
  • Battonet - This cut is 1/4 by 1/4 by 2 1/2 inches long.
  • French Fry - This cut is 1/2 by 1/2 by 3 inches long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!