.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Restaurant Review: Dinosaur BBQ

Dinosaur BBQ
646 West 131st Street
New York, NY

Well folks, it was time to try Dinosaur BBQ again.
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on Urbanspoon
Last time I reviewed Dinosaur I wasn't impressed at all. Well, it hasn't changed. I went to Dinosaur on Sunday afternoon about 2:30. The place was half empty, or half full depending on your perspective. That's pretty good business for a Sunday afternoon, and I took it as an encouraging sign that the food had improved since my last visit. The racial makeup of the people in the restaurant has also improved. On my last visit, the restaurant was frequented by mostly white folk. This time it looked like a real slice of the city.

I keep reading and hearing that Dinosaur BBQ has some great chicken wings. So, I ordered, wait for it now, the chicken wings with the Hot Wang Tango sauce ($5.50). I was served six good size wings, with an excellent blue cheese sauce, and three little match stick pieces of celery. But these wings were burnt! Under a thin layer of the Wango Tango Sauce, lain six black skinned wings. They weren't spicy, they weren't smoked, they weren't worth my time.

For my main meal, I decided to order the Sunday special which is house cured, smoked molasses ham with red eyed gravy ($13.95). I asked the waitress to suggest my two side dishes and she offered up the mini-lettuce wedge with Bar-B-Blues dressing and the Syracuse-style salt potatoes. She asked me if I wanted the wings and the meal at the same time and I said no.

When I was about half way done with my wings, a bus boy brought out my meal. Why do restaurants do that? Appetizers are supposed to be eaten before you meal.

I was served a huge main course of ham with red eye gravy, potato and a lettuce wedge drowned in dressing with one grape tomato cut in half. The ham was served on a bed of some of the best grits I've ever tasted. But the ham itself was lack luster and flavorless. I think the chef expected the gravy to make up for it, because that was damn good and filled with onions. The dressing on the lettuce was a spicier version of a thousand island dressing that over powered the lettuce and whatever you ate after it. The salt potatoes, were just plain boring. Dinner also included a nice size piece of corn bread. On my last visit, the corn bread was smaller than my phone, this time it was at least 4 times the size.

The graffiti situation in the men's room has improved. Since it opened, more people have added to the walls and doors, so the level of obscenity has been toned down to PG-13. Much better. But the bathroom was absolutely disgustingly dirty. There were puddles of piss everywhere. Garbage was strewn around and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in days.

Many people think Dinosaur BBQ is one of the best barbeque restaurants in the city. Overall, I still don't see what the fuss is about. I think Dinosaur has improved since my last visit, but the food is still mediocre, but I know I'll be back. I've heard from many folks that the food here is really good, but I haven't found that entree yet.

And finally, to all the folks that slammed me last time I reviewed Dinosaur, bring it on. Just keep it on topic.

5 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...I don't think I'd want any "wang" on my wings.

I doubt that I'll be in NY before the bash but even then I think I will confine my eating to "Mecca".

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do like their roasted garlic bbq sauce. I use it on my own ribs. In fact It's time to buy a case of it. That being said, when I go into a bathroom and it looks/smells like you described, I am 99.9% sure I will never return to that place. To me it says management does not care about cleanliness and I can imagine that the kitchen is the same way.

Smoker

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Backyard Chef said...

As much as it may pain me to admit it, I agree w/ Smoker (insert smiley, just kidding thing) about the Roasted Garlic Dino Sauce, and the bathroom. I've crossed alot of places off the list for just that kind of reason.

And you were right, the family does grumble about eating bbq for every holiday/special occasion. Heathens.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask and ye shall receive:

In this blog/ode to yourself, your review does not read non-opinionated - it reads as though it's written by a bitter person who just went in there to say you don't like it again.

We get it, you don't like it, and there are a bunch of other bitter angry people who also hate it. Many people love it, so why don't you just acknowledge that you hate/others love, rather than try to prove yourself. All my friends love it. We think it's good food and a good time. Maybe we're not BBQ Nazis. We don't overanalyze it nor post about it on a blog (though it is fun to post ranting comments!). What crack are you smoking saying it's expensive, outside or in Manhattan - newsflash, Harlem ain't cheap either.

By the way, love your social commentary on the ethnic makeup of the crowd. Black people like bbq too?!

Oh, and the bathrooms - that's their deal, always has been, they have a couple holes to crap in, they have a working sink with soap, deal with it. Funny how you backpeddled on the graffiti, before it wasn't real enough, now it's more real or just harder to read or something ridiculous. I like the bathrooms. The stuff written on the walls makes me laugh. And frankly, Princess, that bathroom ain't that bad - I should know, I dribble all over the floor when I'm drunk. And when I'm drunk and have a full belly of tasty food with good friends I'm happy.

Anyway, I like one of your last lines - you know you'll be back. I'm glad you like it too. :)

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who the fuck orders ham at a BBQ joint? I've been there many times and the food was always excellent because I ordered BBQ. And I doubt your comments about the bathroom. I've spent a decent amount of time drinking there and sure it's full of graffiti and not the neatest bathrooms in the city but I don't buy that there was piss all over the floor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!