.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Restaurant Review- Dinosaur BBQ

I went to Dinosaur BBQ for lunch today. Dinosaur is a chain restaurant with places in Rochester and Syracuse New York. As luck would have it the New York City shop just started serving lunch yesterday. It's a nice looking place. I like the decor and the setup. I like the smell of smoke when you walk through the doors. The pile of fire wood by the door is a nice touch, but Virgil's did it first in NY. Dinosaur is located on West 131st Street and 12th Avenue, right across from the famed Cotton Club in Harlem. The wait staff is friendly, knowledgeable and attentive.
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on Urbanspoon

The dinner menu is much larger and more expensive then the lunch menu I saw. The restaurant has a big bar area and a smaller dining room. It was pretty crowded for a Wednesday lunch, and I was surprised the most of the customers were white men in their 30s and 40s. All the staff that I saw were also White or Hispanic.

Frankly, the food was a big disappointment. I don't know if it was a lunch menu or not, but the servings were tiny. I ordered the rib and pork combo. The 3 small ribs tasted like they were cooked with burning plastic. They still had on the membrane (a big no-no in the BBQ competition circuit) and were fairly tender, but very salty. The small amount of sauce on them didn't enhance or detract from their flavor. I hate to say this, but Chili's ribs are better.

The pulled pork was tender, but tasteless. It was completely over powered a very sweet thick sauce poured over the top. This sauce wasn't one of the sauces available on the table. The corn bread was good and covered in honey, but the piece I got was smaller than my cell phone.

I asked the waiter to recommend the side dishes. He choose, the Syracuse Salted Potatoes - two small potatoes with a tasty brown gravy but no particular salt flavor and the Baked Beans - which were primarily flavored with salt and pepper, but not much else. I also ordered the drunken spicy shrimp - which were good, but cold and of the peel and eat variety. Not what I expected at all. (This is explained on the dinner menu, but not on the lunch menu)

My lunch including soda, tax and tip was $25.

I tried all of the table sauces - the sweet BBQ sauce, the habanero BBQ sauce and the hot sauce. They all tasted like an "OK" supermarket brand. I wasn't impressed by any of them.

I was really offended by the men's room. The graffiti was offensive. Every wall was covered with it, and people are encouraged to add to it. However, I don't need to be surrounded by cartoon penises, vagina's and anti-gay remarks. It reminded me of the old CBGB's bathroom except it was clean. I wouldn't want to bring my kids there.

Overall, I think I'll stay away from Dinosaur.

4 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omg you are so right! And sooooo expensive too what are they thinkin up there, 13 bucks for just a big plate of pork with a couple sides, what is that!? Hey I hadn't thought of the bathroom thing with kids but you are right, I don't want them to see the penises and stuff ("scro-dum" I read) and swear words, if I won't let them on the Internet, why would I let them in there?

You know I loooove Brother Jimmy's (funny enough I think they have a great salad), no one can touch it, better than a lot of bbq I had in Texas. Dallas BBQ comes close though I think and yes I agree with you Chili's is always tasty too I wish there were some more in new york thank you for the review.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surfing the BBQ ring just reading anything that looked interesting. I came upon your site and was interested in a fellow Brooklynite obsessed with BBQ. I now live in PA but grew up near Kings Plaza in Brooklyn. For the past year, ever since the New Holland Summerfest in 2004 I became interested in smoking and BBQing. Anyway, two comments. First, I wish your wife the best and a speedy recovery!!! Second, I had Dinasaur BBQ at their Syracure location and found it to be delicious! Did you ever go back since Dec 2004? They were only 15 days old, maybe they needed a breaking in period!?

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Revenantkioku said...

Hmm, that's a damnable shame. I've never been to the NYC joint but the Rochester one is outstandingly awesome. When I lived in Rochester I went there at least once or twice a month.

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've got to try the original Syracuse Dinosaur BBQ. It's outstanding!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!