Grilling In The Big Apple
With the Fourth of July rapidly approaching and the barbecue season about to hit the high water mark, it's time to answer that age old question, "Where can I barbecue in New York City?" And the answer is, "Lots of places." NYC has over 30 parks where grilling is legal.
- Manhattan Beach, which has two grilling locations, Oriental Boulevard & Hastings Street and Northeast of Promenade, median adjacent to parking lot (no amplified sound permitted)
- Red Hook Park, Bay Street near Columbia Street
- Prospect Park, which tops all the Brooklyn parks with six locations, but my favorite is by the band shell
- Crotona Park, Crotona Park East & Charlotte Street (Indian Lake)
- Ferry Point Park, at both the north and south ends of the park
- Van Cortlandt Park, with two locations, my favorite being In front of the pool, Broadway and 242 Street
- East River Park, Along FDR Drive at East 10th Street but a special permit is required, but I've never seen it enforced.
- Wards Island Park, East River & Hell Gate (near the children's playground)