.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Contest: Cooking With Your Father

Adam Perry Lang has a new cookbook out - BBQ 25 - and I'm giving it away! I've got three copies of BBQ 25: The world's most flavorful recipes now made foolproof for 3 lucky readers. And one could be yours, or your dad's, just in time for Father's Day.

To honor all our fathers, much in the fashion of Adam who uses both his father's and step father's last names, I want to hear stories about cooking with your dad, your grandfather or your step dad or a father figure. It doesn't have to be a cooking story per se, but it must involve food being prepared and/or served.

I'll give out one book to the best story in the dad, granddad and step dad or father figure categories. But here's a twist, my son the vegetarian will choose the winners.

So come on folks, let's hear how dad taught you to grill, or that story of sitting on the river bed cooking up the day's catch with your grandfather, or how your step dad would always prepare a special dish whenever he was going to drop some heavy news, or how your scout master would always insist on cooking but burn the food and serve bologna sandwiches instead for every meal.

Be creative! Have fun! Post your stories below in the comments section. Stories must be posted by Wednesday June 9, 2010. Winners will be announced on Friday, June 11.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My dad sucked and still sucks to this day. Never learned how to grill, he taught me to load up on lighter fluid in the old school square Weber grill and when I was 16 I loaded up the bbq like he taught me and lost my eyebrows before even lighting the match.
Only real cooking advice he gave me was to put the bullseye or kraft bbq sauce on the burgers as you cook them.
I learned more about cooking and how to off the food network than my parents.

Can I haz teh book nowz?

Oh yeah that asshole also taught me ribs were to be boiled for 45 mins then grilled with sauce on them. Ugh to think I used to cook like that. lol.

Oh well, Happy Fathers day in advance to ya and look forward to seeing whatever great creation you'll put on the table that day. I like how you're letting your kid pick the winner btw & I'll probably end up in Brooklyn myself making ribs for my father-in-law and fam that day.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I'm going for the "dad" catagorey because I was raised by a single father who got his cooking skills from inmates while he worked as a prison gaurd. Needless to say I have an iron stomach! My favorite would have to be the chili. Dad decided that chili needed lots or rice and peppers. (I still haven't figured out where he got the rice idea from) Anyway, he went to putting this concoction together, and before he was done I'm pretty sure everything in the kitchen was in the pot. I can't tell you if it was any good because he made it soo hot we couldn't go near it. I put it outside to test it on the dog and he just growled as he backed away. Needless to say, I was a skinny kid. Be in all fairness, dad make a killer frozen pizza and was the master of the microwave barrito. :)

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I thought and thought, trying to remember a time where I actually saw my father cook. I absolutely can not recall a single incident of him cooking, even grilling.

I was kind of disappointed when I realized that fact. But then I realized the reason was because he was working his tail off putting my mother and my older brother through college. While he might have never cooked for the family, he made sure that we were fed every night. He was a provider. I am proud of him for that.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Shellbelle said...

I know your contest is over, but I still wanted to tell you my story of cooking with my dad (I just stumbled on your blog today).

Daddy cooked a lot, he loved it and while he cook fry chicken with the best of 'em, he was a master on the grill. He used a rotisserie to slow cook chickens and they were always falling on the bone tender and just melted in your mouth. Daddy used to always brag to anyone who would listen that I could eat a WHOLE chicken. In those days I was just a skinny little thing, so I don't know where I put it. This went on for over twenty years and I swear, I've never found a bbq'd chicken as good as my dad's. I would stay close to that grill when it was close to time to plate those chickens.

My part in all this was to make the family recipe for potato salad just the way daddy taught me and to make sure there was plenty of sweet tea for the feast.

Thanks for bringing back this memory for me today! Cool blog, love a man that cooks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!