.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Smoked Eggs

Smoked Eggs. "Why?" asked my wife. "Why not?" says I. Apologies to Robert F. Kennedy, but when it comes to putting things into the smoker, I share his optimism about the world. I'll try to smoke anything at least once. Maybe I should be apologizing to Cheech and Chong!

So I boiled my eggs, cooled them and cracked them as per Adam Perry Lang's directions. But I didn't have the egg carton, I put them directly on the grill. I don't think the egg carton really matters as after 12 minutes in boiling water these eggs were already well cooked. Would they still benefit from time in the smoker? We'll see.

My fire was running at 225 and the maple and apple smoke really smelled wonderful on this fall afternoon. There's an old saying in barbecue, "If you're looking, you're not cooking." So I resisted the urge and kept the smoker covered for the full hour Adam recommends.

And what did I find when I opened the cooker? Well, see for yourself....

I was disappointed that they didn't look as pretty as the eggs in Adam's cookbook, but then again, I'm not a food stylist. Many times real food looks nothing like the pictures used to sell it. Have you ever had a McDonald's hamburger look like one in the ads? I haven't. For a real interesting site that deals with just this situation, take a look at Fast Foods: Ads vs. Reality.

The brown eggs suffered more in the cooking, but I assume it was due to the fact that they were about one week older then the white eggs. I was still curious to see how they'd taste.

Peeling these eggs were darn near impossible. The egg whites held on to the shell and only the yolks were salvageable. I did get to taste small portions of the whites and frankly, they had no discernible smoked flavor. So what do you do with 6 eggs yolks? I made Remoulade Sauce, which in turn made a very tasty shrimp salad. And it the sauce spiced up some cold cut sandwhiches the next day.

So even with the disappointing eggs, all in all the day was a success! Smoke on!

Printed from COOKS.COM

2 hard cooked egg yolks, sieved
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tbsp. prepared mustard
1 1/2 c. mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
1 tbsp. Worcestershire
1 tbsp. paprika
1 1/2 tbsp. horseradish
Dash of Tabasco
2 tbsp. vinegar
1/4 c. finely chopped parsley
salt and pepper, to taste

Blend ingredients and chill. Go easy on salt and pepper.

Makes about 2 cups.

Shrimp Salad: For shrimp salad, blend 1 quart cooked, chopped shrimp, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 2 boiled eggs and enough Remoulade sauce to hold the mixture together.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger Eric Hoffman said...

I smoke eggs all the time and there is not reason to boil them first. Just throw them on your smoker at 225 for a couple hours. Then they turn out with that nice brown tint inside and out.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Do you need to pre-treat them in any way? ie: crack the shells? soak them?

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Nickel Jeff said...

I've been receiving brown eggs from a friend who has hens. When I hard boiled them, a similar thing happened. A 1/4" or so of the white clung to the shell which made them nearly impossible to peel.

egg shells are permeable, that way gas exchange can continue while the chick grows. I would think, given enough time, the egg would get smokey even without cracking.

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous MTurczyn said...

My dad and I have been smoking eggs for several years. After a lot of trial and error, this is how I do it and everyone seems to love them.

I use a Little Chief electric smoker and this method would be considered cold smoking. I'm sure the principles can be applied in many ways, though.

You also need a large box... large enough to cover the smoker and allow a decent amount of clearance. Vent the box in two or three places on the top. I cut a small spot on one side to run the smoker’s power cord through as well.

1. Boil, peel, and rinse the eggs.

2. Place eggs in wire container(s) (makes it easier to transport, but putting them directly on the rack would be fine as well).

3. Put eggs into smoker (make sure they are separated).

4. Place tray full (almost heaping) of wood chips onto heating element. I use hickory shreds (not chips), but I’m sure other types of wood would be fine as well.

5. Place a pie-plate half filled with water on the lowest shelf. This adds moisture to the mix and helps to keep the eggs soft.

6. Leave the door off of the smoker and place the box over the smoker so that the back of the smoker is 1-2 inches from the box (not sure, but I assume if it touches it might be a fire hazard). I do this to minimize the heat delivered to the eggs, while containing the smoke. I found that using the door on the smoker made the eggs rubbery due to the heat.

7. Smoke eggs till wood shreds are consumed (with my smoker, it takes 40 to 50 minutes). I generally wait till I see no smoke coming from the vents in the box. For me and my family, this is enough smoke flavor… if you like more, refill and replace the smoking wood and smoke further to taste.

8. Remove the box and the eggs. They should be a nice golden color.

9. Cut each egg in half and remove the yolks into bowl. I place the emptied whites into an egg tray.

10. Use a potato masher to mush yolks into a fine paste (so much easier than a fork).

11. Pour mashed yolks into a large freezer bag.

12. For each dozen yolks, add to bag: 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (I use tobacco because it’s not that hot. Unless you know for sure, don’t over do it).

13. Use hands to mash and mix ingredients. Push the air out first before sealing and push contents down with fingers multiple times to mix properly. Taste with clean spoon and add ingredients to taste/texture.

14. Push contents toward bottom corner of bag. Cut bottom corner of bag with scissors to create small hole.

15. Use hands to push contents toward hole in bag and use it like a pastry bag to push contents into empty egg halves. Use a pushing motion to fluff filling till egg hollow is full and slightly overflowing.

16. Fill under filled eggs with remaining filling (or just eat it).

17. Sprinkle eggs with paprika when done and refrigerate till served.

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i smoke them all the time boil 10-15 min peel smoke 1 hour with any flavor..we 60 chickens ...

Tip....older the egg..easier to peel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!