.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Adam's Chili ala WhiteTrash BBQ

So, I cooked today. I actually cooked today! I lit a fire! I broke out the Weber Smokey Mountain and put on a pot of chili. I don't know if I mentioned it but I live on a corner lot, on a busy street that sees a large amount of foot traffic of people coming and going to the subway. Cooking barbecue on the Weber usually causes stares, as the WSM is a bit unusual for this neighborhood, but lifting the lid and stirring a pot of chili on the Weber caused people to stop in their tracks and ask questions!

As I mentioned I followed Adam Perry Lang's recipe from his book Serious Barbecue as closely as I possibly could. Below is a close up of the chili after about 1 hour on the smoker, after the first stir. Adam doesn't mention stirring the chili in the cookbook, but as the chili cooked I noticed that the top "skin" of the chili took on a much darker hue, so I stirred it into the pot every hour or so.


So, how did it taste? Did it live up to the chili Adam serves at Daisy May's? I have to say no. It wasn't as good, but it was still some of the better chilies I've had in a long long time. There was almost no heat up front, but a good amount after and in the throat. It definitely needed some more heat and a strong shot of Tabasco helped immensely.

So what was wrong with it you ask? Well, it may have been my choice of peppers. The Chili Mulato has a strong "chocolaty" taste that came through in the bowl of red which changed the taste from a bowl of Texas Chili to more of a bowl of Mexican Mole. Here's a look at the final product served with some "popcorn" brown rice.


Next time, I'll order the New Mexican Chili that Adam recommends!

Lighting the fire, feeling the heat and smelling the wood smoke has made me restless. I'm feeling very antsy tonight. The wander lust has been awoken. Watch out, now. Beware of Maya.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Chris said...

It's too bad it wasn't as good as theirs but at least it was still good!

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger neil said...

Good food always makes people curious and a bit restless, hoping for a taste or invite.

Maybe it wasn't as good as Daisy May, but it sounded heaven to me. These days I like things calmed down a bit, but still full of flavour. Maybe a few guajillos may have helped the cause.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!