.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Truth in Advertising?

I receive a fair amount of emails from various manufacturers of food related items announcing new products or various promotions. If the item is barbecue or grilling related I usually find a way of working them into a blog post.

Sometimes I get requests for me to do a product review and I received another one of these the other day. Here's the email, the names have been changed to protect the not so innocent...

Saleswoman to me

Hi Robert,
I would like to send you a sample of a product called fire. Fire is a green alternative to using lighter fluid to start your fires for grilling. The product prevents dangerous flare ups and improves the overall quality of your food because there is no petroleum aftertaste.

May I send you a box to try out and possibly review for your site?


Thanks,

Saleswoman
Media Relations

PR

Saleswoman@pr.com


OK, sounds interesting even though I don't use chemical fire starters when I cook, but I know many people do. This would make a good read for you my faithful viewers. So I respond with my standard response...

brooklynq to Saleswoman

Reply


Sure I'm always interested in new products.
However, please be aware that my accepting the product for review does not guarantee a favorable review. If I like it I say so, if not I say that too.

And that's where it ends. Unfortunately this happens far too often. It always amazes me that so many PR people are not willing to stand behind their product. Cowards.

Photo courtesy of MountCope

1 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have too much integrity.

I fold faster than Superman on laundry day when it comes to free chit.

And I will shill and whore just about anything.

Happy New Year Rob!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!