.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Friday, May 23, 2008

Product Review: Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce

Here's another product review for you guys, The Original Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce by Country Bob Edison.

I received two bottles of Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce (list price $4 a bottle) in the mail to review. To be honest, I was surprised to get this as I had forgotten that I agreed to review this sauce. It was a pleasant surprise and well timed as I was grilling steaks for dinner that evening.

A little background from their website...

"It was 1968 when Country Bob Edson perfected his steak sauce recipe and he called it an All Purpose Sauce because it was more than just a steak sauce. Country Bob’s All Purpose Sauce has remained the flagship item since 1982 when Country Bob, Inc. was established. Along the way we have been dedicated to offering our customers the best tasting and highest quality steak sauce or All Purpose Sauce, Barbeque Sauce, and Seasoning Salt available anywhere in the world. To accomplish this we have placed our trust in God and we believe that goal has been achieved."

So with that bit of hype I poured some on my steak. The first thought that came to me was that it smelled much like Worcestershire sauce, but with a little something else. It's a dark and thin sauce that poured and seemed very much like a
Worcestershire sauce. Until I tasted it.

First thought, wow this stuff is sweet. Very sweet. But it does have a bitterness and tang to it. It's interesting, but I've had this before. Country Bob's tastes very similar to Heinz 57 Steak Sauce, which unfortunately is not one of my favorites. To me and my wife, Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce simply overwhelmed the taste of the steaks.

I put the sauce away until we made some hamburgers for lunch. I've often said that many sauces change character when it meets the flames of the grill, so I thought I'd give Bob's another chance in burgers. I'm always playing with hamburger ingredients. I've mixed in tomato paste, onion soup mix, ketchup, horseradish, etc, anything to boost the flavor of the meat.

I took about 1/4 cup of Country Bob's and mixed it into 1 1/2 lbs of ground sirloin. I grilled the burgers to medium rare and topped them with Swiss Cheese, ketchup and relish. Now here Bob's shined, giving the burgers a flavor boost they needed.

So, from my two experiments with Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce makes me think that as an ingredient, Country Bob's works very well. But to my wife and I it's just too sweet to use on its own. But you should try it out; I'd love to hear your experiences with it.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

too bad when you click on the link for country bob's all purpose sauce you are met with this quote on country bob's web page "Christ is our CEO". what's religion got to do with bbq sauce?

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Well, I do know a few people that think barbeque is a religion. but...

I don't hold the "Christ is our CEO" slogan against them at all. George Harrison had "All glories to Sri Krishna" printed on many of his albums.

If it's good, I'll buy it.

Live and let live.

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Country Bob's is great on baked potatoes and in baked beans.
I use it more like an ingredient than a sauce.
Can give a lot of dishes just that extra needed zip.
Gud BBQ2u

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger glamah16 said...

I just reviewed them and I agree. The first thing I thought of was steak sauce. I had better results cooking with it than as a condiment. It is good!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I was just asked to review their sauce on my blog, so I'm curious to see how it is.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to eat this stuff all the time, but almost never on meat. it made everything in our college cafeteria edible! rice, salad, 'chocolate' cake... you name it.

i'm inspired to go out and buy some, for olde-time sake

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how this company displays
their "Love for Christ Jesus."
So many people are afraid to mention Christ. Satan doesn't have
them bound.
By the way..We live in the U.S.A.,and have religious freedoms.The seperation of church and state is a lie and taken "out of text"from a letter written by Ben Franklin by a trannical goverment who wants God removed to further their Agenda!!

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have loved Country Bob's for years , but rarely used it on steak. We always loved it on Pork, being from St.Louis meant pork steaks, and wow was it great there. I must say it is multipurpose, I use it in burgers on chicken and hotdogs and everywhere the recomend ketchup....even my meatloaf tastes better.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger jerricaparr said...

I just reviewed this product and I actually disagree. I thought that the product was very good.
I've only had it a little over a week or so and I've already gone through one and a half bottles!

I do agree about the Worcestershire Sauce; however, I love Worcestershire and I could eat it on anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!