.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Damn kids.

Well, Rachael Ray's Surf and Turf Tacos called for the steak and fish to be sauted in a pan. Well, I couldn't allow that. So with my brother and daughter's help, we dragged out a grill to properly cook this meat - over a charcoal fire!

But, before we began to cook, my brother informed me that the 1 1/2 lbs of red snapper fillets and 1 1/2 lbs of skirt steak wasn't enough protein for 6 adults. "Huh?", says I. "3 lbs of usable meat isn't enough? With the side dishes 3 lbs isn't enough?" "Nope," says he and we're off to the butcher for more.

But, wait a minute, my son who has become delusional again and joined the cult of vegetarianism. Again. "Pop - what are you making for me?" "There's black beans, rice, lettuce, cabbage, cheese, sour cream, tortillas, tomatoes and peppers," I tell him. "Can you grill some portabello mushrooms too?" "OK," I say. "I had beans yesterday. Can you make me Tofu?" asks my son.

Tofu? Tofu? TOFU? The ultimate non meat and to me, non food. The carnivores nemesis. That strange white sponge that vegetarians seem to love and insist on ingesting. I'd rather use it to clean the sink. "OK," I tell him, "but how do you make it?" "Grill it," he tells me. GRILL IT? My beloved son wants me to defile one of my grills, my babies who will be with me long after he's left home, married and with kids of his own with TOFU? Ugh.

So, after some persuading from the boy and his mother, "Do it for me, it's mother's day after all." I relent and check the internet for some grilled tofu recipes. Let me tell you there ain't many. (Anybody looking for a cookbook idea, there you have it. I'd do it, but I'd have to taste test the recipes and that ain't gonna happen.) I settle on a marinade of lemon juice, fresh oregano, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper.

So after the meat, fish, peppers, tortillas and mushrooms were all grilled, I gently settled the tofu on my grill as a single tear left my eye.

My son said it was good. What wouldn't we do for our children? Happy belated Mother's Day.

Photo of the grilled sponge, I mean tofu comes from I Am Gluten Free which is a great resource for anyone celiac disease. Check it out.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Deb Schiff said...

While I'm not a huge fan of tofu, the lucky thing is that you can make it taste like anything. A kitchen-sink like food, if you will.

Ironically, it does not do well cleaning that very same sink.

Love the humor of your blog. Great for a smile first thing in the morning.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Chris said...

You rock. You might have solved my menu dilema:)

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Terry (aka) Big Daddy said...

Trash, that is so funny, great post. Dude, you need to do a cook book about Tofu, it would be a best seller. How to grill Tofu, in two easy lessons, grilled and barbecued.

Yep...best seller.

B.D.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Chilebrown said...

Yeah, I am not a big fan of Tofu. I did give it a try. I roasted it on a Cedar Plank. Yuk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!