.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Moment in Time

It's very rare that a television show can make me tear up. Tonight that happened. I was watching HBO's outstanding series John Adams.

Tonight's episode ended with the inauguration of General George Washington as the first President of the United States. As the crowd strained to hear, General Washington recited the oath of office tentatively but strongly and obviously moved by the weight and responsibility of the position he was undertaking. There was no sense of entitlement or conquering as he recited those famous words...

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

To this, President Washington added...

"So help me God."

It was said as a prayer and not in the self congratulatory, almost cynical way every president since 1976 has said it.

As I watched this scene I thought of the current occupant of the office and of the 3 people currently seeking the presidency. All I could think of was so help me God.

So help us all.

7 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we dont slow down the legal AND illegal immigration we will be hearing

"So help me Allah" or press 2 to hear this in english

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like a food blog to give me a stomachache inducing political post.

Bye.............

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Sorry Anonymous, I don't agree with you there. This country has alway been a melting pot and I for one hopes it continues to be. If at some point we become a Spanish speaking land, so be it. This country grows and changes to suit the needs of its people.

Donna, sorry to give you a stomach ache, but unfortunately politics affects us all and I am very disappointed in the people who are in the government currently and those that wish to be. I think the founding fathers would be disgusted with the political condition of this country if they were alive today.

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTB,

My point is, just because you have an audience doesn't mean it's a good idea to move totally away from the reason your blog was created in in the first place in order to try to make a point.

I come here to read about food in general and BBQ in specific. I read plenty of political blogs and other media. I don't expect my food blogs to start posting about politics. If they do, they should consider getting a political blog to post those views in.

If they don't, then they lose me as a reader and recommender of a site.

Donna

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger meathenge said...

Amen to that, and praise Allah,

Biggles

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Donna,

I'm sorry to disappoint you and I hope you'll remain a reader of this blog, but this blog was never intended to be just about food and barbecue.

Now, I do try to keep it focused on barbecue and cooking, I have discussed many issues over the years. But bottom line is this blog has always been about me. Me, me, me and me. And it will stay that way.

This will never become a politics focused blog. I'll leave that for the more educated and articulate, but I do deeply believe that EVERY American has a responsibility to be involved in the political process in this country.

So while I usually refrain from the political topics here, sometimes they will come up. Before yesterday's post the closest I've ever come to politics has been to urge people to vote.

Last night's episode of John Adams moved me deeply. The enormity and greatness of this country was on display last night in such vivid contrast to the government we now possess, I felt that I needed to say something.

This is a great country and I do my little bits to keep it that way. I urge you to do the same.

I'll be back to barbecue tonight. I hope you stick around.

Robert

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert,

I'll beat this horse just one more time and then I think it's dead.

You say: I'm sorry to disappoint you and I hope you'll remain a reader of this blog, but this blog was never intended to be just about food and barbecue.

Your banner at the top of the blog says: WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbeque from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

So the understanding I have when I look at the blog is BBQ, not politics. I understand being moved by something. I understand occasionally wanting to prod your readers. All of that makes a world of sense. Just don't lose your focus or you will end up losing readers.

Donna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!