.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

March Madnes: Bad Time In The Old Town

Hey folks. Dinner tonight was some really awful Chicken with Black Bean Sauce from No.1 Chinese Restaurant on Avenue U here in Brooklyn. Trust me. This was God awful. It did have chicken and black beans, but it didn't resemble or taste like any version I've had before. Maybe they hired the chef's from Top Chef. Maybe I really got Chicken Picatta!
No 1 Chinese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Lunch today also brought some bad news, my favorite Buffalo wing joint in Manhattan, Pluck U has closed its Ninth Avenue location. I can't say I didn't see it coming. The prices were rising, the portions getting smaller and the place getting dirtier and emptier each time I infrequently visited this year.

I wound up getting a burger at Lucky's Famous Burger on West 52nd Street. (No website that I can find, but here's the Menupages listing.) Lucky's bills itself as "the best hamburger in NYC," or some equally grandiose claim. Let me tell you they ain't even close. They're exactly the same as all the other places serving Sysco's "hand formed" burgers and fries. Hell, they're not even grilled!

Lucky's Famous on Urbanspoon

I will give them this, the food portions are large and relatively cheap for Manhattan. Nine dollars bought me a 7 oz cheese burger topped with ketchup, mustard (Where the hell are we? Southern Jersey?) pickles, lettuce, tomato and Swiss Cheese, a very large portion of crinkle cut fries and a 20 oz fountain soda with free refill. It was presented beautifully with the burger half wrapped in foil. The counter staff was very congenial if slow.

Would I go back? Maybe, but probably not. It's OK, nothing to write home about and there's too many other good burger places in the neighborhood.


And as long as I'm on my soapbox, what the hell happened to Trump Tower?

I had a chance to stop into it's atrium today. My God, how it's fallen. I remember the heady days of the 1980's when it first opened; 6 floors of some of the most exclusive shopping in New York City. It was the place to be seen.

Now, it's a shoe store, a Starbucks, a souvenir shop, a bar and a grill. It's really an embarrassment to "The Donald." If I was "The Donald," I'd make the resurrection of Trump Tower's atrium the next season of The Apprentice. (Don, if you use that idea, I won't charge you. Consider it my gift to the people of NYC.)

Enough of this negativity, let me leave you with a random barbecue link. After all this site is about BBQ, right? Check out the Naked Pig BBQ Company.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger PJay said...

Nostrand Ave & Ave R - I forget the name of the Chinese restaurant there, but it's cleaner than most, and the food is very good there IMHO.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Padma: This week's "quickfire" challenge is BBQ.

30 minutes later

Contestant 1: I made a bbq trout with a mango/lime cerviche'

Contestant 2: I prepared a smoked chicken in the oven....without smoke.

Contestant 3: I made 30 minute beef brisket with a balsamic reduction on a bed of ginger slaw.

Contestant 4: What we have here is a BBQ'd pork chop with an apple foam.

Oh crap....I've just admitted I watch Top Chef :)

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Chris - Are you telling me that the fine chefs at Top Chef don't know BBQ? I'm appalled sir! You have impugned their honor. Next you'll tell me that they don't know what chicken picatta, soufflés or paella are either. Oh, shit. They don't!

PJay - let me know the name of that place. All the Chinese places around here are in a slump.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!