.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

You Think That's Good?

I was bouncing my review of Fette Sau around in my head this morning. Was it too harsh? I know what it takes to produce great barbeque and how it can be subject to many variables even if you do everything right. I called my client and she said I was too easy on them. Ouch.

To many of my friends in the world of barbecue, the food produced for competition is the gold standard of barbeque meat. While I wouldn't go that far, there's too many other flavors that can be incorporated into good barbecue that wouldn't work in competition, it is a not a bad place to start.

The standards of taste and tenderness do however translate easily from the competition circuit to the restaurant world.

So how do you learn what these standards should be? By becoming a KCBS certified barbecue judge. If you're in the New York area the next judging class will be held on March 29, 2008 in Highland, New York. It's being taught by the Mullanes, whom regular readers of this blog will know by now, and it's being hosted by the fine folks who run the outstanding Hudson Valley Ribfest. These classes fill up fast, but you can download the application here.

I wish I could join you, but I'll be performing my judging duties at the 15th Annual Snowshoe Challenge in Abington, MA that day. If you're anywhere near Abington, come on by. It's a great grilling contest with some of the best teams in New England and always a lot of fun.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there! Being a native Texan transplanted to New York many years ago, I really appreciate your blog and enjoy reading it from time to time (especially in the summer)to find out where all the best BBQ events are happenin'. Since I was raised on 'cue, I consider myself a true connoisseur and have often wondered how I could get involved in judging competitions etc. So, you can imagine how excited i was to see your link to the KCBS class!

I'm curious, do you know of any other courses, classes, or qualifying events that can help me become a BBQ judge?

Many Thanks for the Great Blog!!
Smoke On~ :)

Jamey Poole
East Village New York/ San Marcos Texas

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Jamey,

The best place to look for judging classes in the New York area is the bulletin board for the New England BBQ Society. (http://www.nebs.org/) Yes, I know, but in the BBQ world, NY is part of New England.

Next place to look is on the Kansas City Barbeque Society website. (http://www.kcbs.us/)

After that, there's the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association's website. (http://www.mabbqa.com/)

Wait - didn't you just say that in the BBQ world, NY was part of New England? Yes, I did, great catch. But the MABA is a newer organization and is hoping to correct that.

Of course, keep checking back here. I'll be posting them as I hear about them as well.

Thanks for reading!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!