.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Caveat Emptor

I found something out yesterday. My health insurance sucks. Unlike many in George Bush's America, I do have health insurance. And I pay a lot of money for it each month. I pay more every year and get less and less in return.

My son was diagnosed with Mono. He was prescribed steroids because his tonsils are swollen to the point where one is connected to his uvula. The doctor wrote the prescription and I was about to take it to our local Duane Reade to be filled when my wife called.

"Take it to Duane Reade, but don't put it on the insurance," said she. "It's $21.00 to fill. Steroids are cheap." "Why wouldn't I put it on the insurance?" I asked.

"Because the co-pay for prescriptions is $25."

"So?" I replied.

"I don't want to pay $25 when we can pay less," said the wife wisley.

"Why would we pay $25 when it only costs $21?" I asked

"Because that's how the insurance company and drug stores work. Put it on the insurance, pay the deductible and the drug store keeps the rest," my wife told me.

"Damn! Is that legal?" (If there's any lawyers reading this, I'd like to know the answer.)

So, since my car is in the shop getting repaired from the Thanksgiving side swipe, I proceeded to walk to Duane Reade. On my way I came to Rite Aid. I decided to see how much they would charge for the same prescription. "$10.99" I was told.

Buyer beware.

3 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger UP said...

Dealing with health and health insurance certainly is a frustrating experience.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your co-pay is $25, that means that you pay the first $25 of the cost of the prescription - it does not mean that you pay $25 no matter the cost of the prescription.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

anonymous, I thought that's what a co-pay meant too. But that's not what pharmacies in Brooklyn are doing. If your co-pay is $25 they take that, no matter what the cost of the medicine is.

I'm still hoping an attorney will see this and let me know if it's a legal practice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!