.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Restaurant Review: Bourbon BBQ

First up, attentive readers will notice some housekeeping of the links and sidebars of the blog. I removed a couple of links that pointed to sites that haven't been updated in a while. I'm sorry to see them go, but I'm not going to point you to a dead site.

There's a new BBQ joint in Wyckoff, New Jersey. Now I don't know anything about the place or the owner and I usually don't post reviews until I've been to the joint, but I doubt I'll ever make it out there. This is posted as a heads up for my New Jersey readers.

Starters: Bourbon BBQ in Wyckoff

Friday, July 6, 2007
The Bergen Record

PETER MONSEES / THE RECORD
arrowGary Needham working on lunchtime orders at Bourbon BBQ in Wyckoff.

Starters is a first look at recently opened restaurants. It is meant to be a descriptive glimpse, not a critical review, of interesting new venues.

Chef Gary Needham learned the art of barbecue close to home in Louisville, Ky., but perfecting his repertoire took the chef to San Diego, Maine, Jamaica and more than a half-dozen other haunts.

Thirty-six years after starting his career, he brought his training to Bergen County, opening Ridgewood's Silver Oak American Bistro, which serves pastas and seafood in addition to home-cooked Southern favorites. And on Sunday he opened Bourbon BBQ, a new barbecue-only restaurant in Wyckoff.

"Barbecue was always my passion, but you can't come into town and open up a barbecue place when nobody knows your name," said Needham, who also sells his homemade barbecue sauces in Whole Foods and Kilroy's. "So I opened up Silver Oak [Bistro] to establish myself, and after a year and a half, I figured it was time to do this."

Needham's self-serve restaurant boasts all the airs of a roadside Southern smokehouse. Adjacent to the serving counter, the straightforward dining room holds orange bench seats and checkered tablecloths upon which meals are delivered on butcher's paper and in baskets. The restaurant's wooden walls hold vintage R.C. Cola signs. A peek in the kitchen, however, reveals more modern workings.

"We use an all-wood-burning, custom-made smoker," said Needham. "We only use hickory wood, and we can hold 1,500 pounds of meat ... These are the same size smokers the Army uses."

Emerging from this massive smoker are pork shoulder, brisket, barbecued chicken, St. Louis ribs, pulled chicken breast, smoked sausage and wings. For sides, there's fresh coleslaw, potato salad, beans, collard greens, fries and macaroni and cheese. Delta pickles, which brine in Kool-Aid, and desserts are also available.

"Some people say the menu is limited, but it's actually true Southern barbecue," said Needham, who plans to spend his days behind the smoker at Bourbon BBQ and his nights manning the stoves at Silver Oak. "Barbecue is a work of passion ... It's not about the decor or the front of the house, it's about the flavor, and we have plenty of that!"

Bourbon BBQ is at 529 Goffle Road, Wyckoff; 201-444-6661 or bourbonbbq.com. Hours: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. Credit cards: AE, D, DC, MC, V.

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I noticed Bourbon BBQ in the making a few months ago and we were very excited to try it as there are no BBQ places close to the area that we know of. Well, honestly it was a let down. The Hickory BBQ Brisket (which we both ate) was bland and greasy. By the time it took our 10 minute ride home both of our stomachs were turning. Unfortunately not even the BBQ sauce on the table did anything for the meat. The menu is very limited (whether or not that is "true Southern barbecue")! If you want to have ribs for lunch, you have to order a whole rack and that may be too much for 1 or 2 people alone. Honestly, this was the first and last time we will go there. I would rather wait until my next trip to Boston, Mass to get good BBQ there!

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try CC's BBQ Pit in Haledon, not too far from BBBQ. It's great!!!

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Mike Feygin said...

Are you serious!?! I just went in to Bourbon the other day, and it was amazing!! I had the "garabge plate" which is a little sampler of everything, pork, brisket, sausage, and ribs. Phenomenal!

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that I am a HUGE fan of your place.
It's
been a hobby of mine for several years to try all the barbecue places
in the
metro area (mostly in NYC) and I am somewhat discerning when it comes
to
barbecue. I don't know of too many true southern barbecue pits in the
area
as most are Portugese type (which I like but don't come close to
quality)
and of course the chain restaurants where you can get quality baby
backs but
no dry rub or true smoked meat. I work nearby in Saddle Brook and
sometimes
have appointments in Midland Park, so I saw when your unassuming place
opened and was curious to check it out. It took a while for me to find
a
convenient time to try it, but last month I finally did and now I am
hooked.
It started with the pulled pork and I was quite surprised how flavorful
and
hearty the sandwich was. It's a good sign when you don't need to add
sauce.
I liked it so much I went back the next day for lunch again. A month
later I
found myself on my way to MP on my lunch hour, so I stopped in an
picked up
a rib sandwich b/c I wanted to try the ribs but didn't want to spend
$25 on
lunch. I was pleased to see that the amount of ribs provided for the
sandwich was very fair and their was enough meat to make a lunch out of
it.
What I was not prepared for was HOW AMAZING these dry rub ribs were. I
loved
every bite, every morsel, even ate the bread after (though not as a
sandwich, just b/c the bread was soaked with the pork flavor and I
couldn't
get enough. The smokey flavor of the meat was heavenly, the meat was
tender
and not too fatty, the dry rubbed spices dazzled my tastebuds. I have
been
thinking about these ribs for a week straight now, I think I'm
obsessed.
Anyway, GREAT JOB. I'm a fan for life! Glad to have some genuine pit
'cue in

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My friend and I went to this place tonite. Worst ribs we've ever had. Flavorless, Tough, Stringy...and somehow, I dont understand how being that theyre not fried..but GREASIER THEN A FAST FOOD BURGER. THEY MADE BOTH OUR STOMACHS TURN!!!!!The policy of this overpriced, overhyped, pretentious establishment (written on the menu) is "Our pitmaster is always right" and "no refunds" we were so displeased we are stopping the credit card payment. If this is authentic BBQ....I'll stick to the fake yankee stuff. Want good bbq...or the price of these cheap low quality cuts of st Louis ribs u are better off going to houstons and paying the same price for high quality hickory smoked baby back ribs with one of the best wet sauces to boot....GO TO CUBBYS or HOUSTONS in Hackensack! or for some really meaty and juicy ribs go to FRANKLIN STEAKHOUSE!!!! the ribs there will blow u away!!!!

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We ordered the Family Feast takeout from Bourbon BBQ The menu states makes a family of 4+ very happy. My whole family of six big eaters were more than satisfied and we had a huge amount of leftovers. The food was GREAT!!! We had the pulled pork, the ribs, the mac & cheese (FABULOUS)and the baked beans - we all had seconds. The ribs didn't need sauce.
I would recommend Bourbon to anybody that likes BBQ

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who wrote a positive review of this place is either related to the establishment or had a different chef then I did When I ate here. The food was terrible. They burnt the wings and corn on the cob. The sauce was terrible. The Pulled Pork was fatty. The chicken sandwich said that it had buffalo sauce on it but it was overwhelmed by the ranch dressing. There was a hair in my son's Mac and cheese which took forever to be served. And you had to listen to the annoying waitress who was obviously overwhelmed yell at the kitchen staff. Skip this place.

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently tried Bourbon county and have to say it is not really BBQ. The brisket had no smoke flavor and was shredded not chopped as advertised. The sides (coleslaw and potato salad) were straight out of a plastic tub and tasted like it. The sausage I also had was burnt on the outside and had the consistency of bologna. i dont recommend this place to anyone who wants even an aproximation of real BBQ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!