.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Recipes

I like to read recipes. I like to talk about recipes. I ask people all the time about how they cook. It's just something I do.

Tonight I was reading over my blog and looking at the recipes I've provided. Some recipes I've made up. Some recipes were taken from cookbooks, blogs, forums, etc. Some I've really enjoyed and still make on a regular basis. Others I haven't touched in years.

But all this god me thinking, "What makes a recipe an original?" There are probably a million recipes out there for, say, a Bacon Lettuce Tomato sandwich, but what makes one better than the other? Is a recipe truly unique, if recipe A calls for 1/2 tsp of salt and recipe B calls for 1 tsp of salt? You can only stretch a BLT so far. Does that slight difference make A & B two unique recipes? Two original ideas?

Say I have a recipe for Chicken Parmesan from the Betty Crocker cookbook, but instead of topping the chicken with mozzarella cheese as called for, I use swiss, have I created a new original recipe?

So tonight I ponder. What makes a recipe truly original and one's own.

1 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Terry (aka) Big Daddy said...

I'm like you, I read a lot of recipes. I have learned how to read them. Everybody has a recipe, but they don't always work.

The trick is look at what works and what doesn't. I have run into a few.

Of all the recipes I have posted at Macdaddy's Grill, I have only had one dud. But,I took it and made it workable.

That is the trick, now an original recipe is something you come up with. As I have, take a thought, work on it, and make a recipe that will work everytime.

That is the key...they must work.

B.D.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!