.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Vote - Linda Mullane for KCBS Board

Yesterday, I told you that I was backing Linda Mullane for a position on the Kansas City Barbeque Society's Board of Directors. Here's why -- some questions and answers from the woman herself.

Question One: Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in Adealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS board of Directors and its membership.

Answer: Being a Contest Rep affords me more contact with all members of KCBS, Cooks, Judges and Organizers alike. I feel as a CBJ trainer in many cases I am the first contact with KCBS and believe this to be most important as to how we present our organization, its professionalism and most of all its integrity.

Question Two: If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.

Answer: As a rep my biggest concern or major issue is qualified judges (CBJ’s). I don’t feel it is right that so many of our contests, especially “Qualifiers” are judged by a large percentage of non-qualified judges. I feel, it is time we put more pressure on Organizers to insure a larger percentage of judges who are properly qualified and not coming for a free lunch, as is the case at many contests. My second major concern is the quality of reps. I feel we need a concise training program with an exact agenda. A RAT who trains under 4 different reps and is then released to do a contest on their own is not qualified. There should be a period of probation as well as testing prior to release.
Question Three: Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.

Answer: Short term Goal: Devise and Implement a Contest Reps Training Course – Work with both the technology and contest reps committees to devise an online training course, as well as testing procedures. I feel this is most needed for our organization to grow and prosper in the future. In most cases reps are the Organization lifelines and need to have the answers to provide a good basis for new contests, not just how much stuff should be in the judges goodie bags.
Long term Goal: Retraining Program for CBJ’s – The more contests I rep the more I see judges arrive with personal coolers. I have even been informed of judges approaching teams for extra food. This needs to be addressed and controlled.

Question Four: If elected please explain "your level of commitment, time and energy" for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.

Answer: Being on the East Coast, I do not feel I will be able to attend in person many Board of Director meetings, however, I am always available by phone for meetings. I am currently serving on three committees. Tony Stone's software development committee, Don Harwell's technology committee, and Ed Roith's judge's committee. Along with my husband, and others I currently rep approx 10 – 12 contests per year, have taught 6 – 8 CBJ classes a year. I feel there is a need for town meetings regionally. I would personally help organize and hold 3 per year on the East Coast, Mid Atlantic and New England areas so these areas can voice their opinions and ideas concerning rules, contest appraisals, organizers, etc. I believe that Rules and Regulations should be voted on by all members in good standing and not just a select few. I feel more requirements should be placed on Organizers prior to sanctioning.

Question Five: Please describe your participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.

Answer: For the past 10 years I have been involved in BBQ as a CBJ, Master CBJ, Contest Rep, Contest Organizer, CBJ Master Instructor and even a cook at a few events. I have been and currently am a vendor and restaurateur.

Question Six: Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.

Answer: I have felt for a long time as have many of my contemporaries that we need a voice on the East Coast. I have watched and been a part of the growth of approximately 5 contests in New England and The Mid Atlantic to almost 50 this year in our regions. We have had 2 town meetings in our area, both conducted by Ed Roith in 2004, other than that there has been no direct contact with our region except through the Bullsheet and Website, neither of which have been overly informative until recently.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!