.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Locavore?

What the hell is a locavore? It sounds like some crazy Italian low carb diet.

A locavore is someone who will only cook/eat/digest food that is produced locally. So what's locally, you cask? The most common definition of locally is within an one hundred mile radius. This month's Food+Wine magazine had an interesting article about how being a locavore is the latest trend amongst the trendy chefs and foodies out there.

My first thought was, gee that's fine for people living in California, but how would a fire loving guy in the depths of Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn survive as locavore in the dead of winter? I'd be dead in a month (Stop your cheering now. I mean it. Stop. Now.)

As I read the article, it started out with some interesting thoughts and recipes from Dede Simpson from, hold on, California. Big Whoop. It's easy eating locally grown produce when the produce is still growing in say, February. But then, it was followed up by recipes from Jeremy Silansky from... VERMONT. Yes, snowy, isolated, lovely Vermont.

So how does Jeremy do it? With some extensive planning and some handy dandy food connections to farmers in the area. He cans and freezes fresh vegetables all through the summer and fall harvest season. He also relies heavily on his network of farmers to feed him. How many farmers do you know who grow watercress in January in a pond behind their house?

So is it possible for a fire loving guy in Brooklyn to survive as a locavore? Not this fire loving guy, thank you very much. It's a very interesting concept, it's way too much work. I have a lot of respect for the people who do this, hell I grill all year long, but it's not for me.

I'll still try to eat seasonal ingredients all year long. (Does that still buy me snaps in the food community?) See you out by the fire pit.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Guy said...

I'm a locavore, all my groceries are purchased within 10 miles of my house.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and can't deal with it. I don't have that kind of time. You sir, are not alone. I do what I can by buying anything from someone who owns their own store. When I can, steer away from large chains. It's my nature.

Biggles

 
At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll meet you at the grill, comrade. Being deep into a serious cold snap in Minnesota, it's hard to even imagine someone trying to grow produce outside in the winter. NIMBY.

It's a very nice idea, and yes, I too applaud those who can manage, but it isn't for everyone and for the mere fact that it is almost impossible in some areas of the country. The article was a good one, but, once again, not realistic to all F&W readers.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

One other thing I didn't address in my post, the local greenmarkets.Why are they only in the "Trendy" neighborhoods? I live in a well established middle class - old and never trendy - neighborhood and the closest greenmarket is on the other side of the borough? Don't we deserve a shot at the local produce too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!