.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

BBQ Recippes: Six Hour Pork Roast

I got this from Lisa over at Champaign Taste who got it from Cynthia at The Sandwich Life. This is another example of a recipe for indoor cooking that can really benefit from time spent in the smoke. Hell, even the oven temperture recommended is just over where I usually keep my pits when I barbeque.

This recipe reminds me of a recipe for pork (fresh ham) that my Abuela used to make. She always used a picnic instead of a Boston butt, but this sounds remarkably similar. Unfortunately my grandmother passed away without sharing her recipes, so I can't give you her version; but in another post I'll give you my version of her Cuban style roast pork.

Six-Hour Roast Pork from Mimosa, Los Angeles, CA 1999

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
10 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt (Note from Cynthia: I found this a bit too salty the first time I made it—I now use 1 T)
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon dry white wine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (6-1b) boneless pork shoulder Boston roast (not tied)

Preheat oven to 275°F.

Blend together sage, rosemary, garlic, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper in a food processor until a thick paste forms. With motor running, add wine and oil and blend until combined well.

If necessary, trim fat from top of pork, to leave a 1/8-inch-thick layer of fat. Make 3 small incisions, each about 1 inch long and 1 inch deep, in each side of pork with a small sharp knife, and fill each with about 1 teaspoon herb paste. Spread remaining herb paste over pork, concentrating on boned side, and tie roast with kitchen string at 2-inch intervals.

Put pork, fat side up, in a roasting pan and roast in middle of oven 6 hours. Transfer roast to cutting board and let stand 15 minutes.

Discard string and cut pork roast (with an electric knife if you have one) into thick slices.

I might try this for New Year's Day. Happy Eating!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Guy said...

OoOoOoOo, that right there could benefit from some citrus zest. Nice shootin'.

Biggles

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this would be perfect for the bbq. We just got a smoker for Christmas---this will one of the first things to try. When I wrote put this recipe into The Sandwich Life I wrote it exactly as I got it from epicurious but it's really one of those super flexible recipes...as long as you have the right cut you can play with the flavors. Can't wait to hear how it comes out bbq'd!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!