BBQ Recipes: Carribean BBQ Sauce II
This recipe was created by BajaTheCat over at AllRecipes.com. I don't make my own barbeque sauce that often. I probably have close to one hundred bottles of sauce in my cabinets and I'm trying to work my way through all of them.
But, let me tell you, this is good stuff. It's worth your time and effort to make this simple sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (1 inch) pieces fresh ginger root, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup spiced rum, divided
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, and ginger, and cook until tender.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Mix in ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, rum, hoisin sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and heated through.
- Stir in remaining rum.