.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

BBQ Equipment: Knives

I recently purchased an everyday knife set for use at home. Money's tight and I guess I gave in to impulse and purchased a "budget" (I didn't want to say cheap) knife block set from Farberware at the local supermarket Stop and Shop.

It's an OK set, and certainly sharper than anything we have in the drawer, but I should have waited and bought some real knives.

It's funny, I love to cook and we've been married almost 20 years and we still don't have any decent knives. Maybe when I grow up, I'll realize you get what you pay for, bite the bullet, lay out some real cash and buy a set of professional knives.

But back to my new Farberware set. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the box, so I have no idea which Farberware line of knives I've purchased. There's no identification on the knives or the block, but it looks a lot like the picture. They only difference is that my knives have what appear to be 3 rivets in each handle.

It's got 6 steak knifes, a paring knife, bread knife, chef's knife, kitchen shears and a couple of other pieces, all stored in an attractive wood block. It was on sale for $19.99. I got it home, unpacked and washed the knifes and placed them in the attractive wood block which I then positioned within easy reach on the kitchen counter.

Two days later, I used one of the steak knives to cut a piece of cheese. It wasn't a large block of cheese, just your standard Cracker Barrel block of cheddar, and the knife broke. The handle broke and the blade came out of the handle. I'm not happy.

Unfortunately I didn't save the receipt or the box, so Stop and Shop won't take it back. I've contacted Farberware by e-mail through their website asking them to make it right. (Boy does Farberware have a lousy website!)

I just sent them the e-mail today, so don't assume anything yet. Hopefully Farberware's customer service will respond quickly and I'll get this resolved soon. I'll let you know what happens.

2 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger BlueMule said...

I was a long-time user of Chicago Cultery knives, another "cheap" brand of knives. Last Christmas, my brother gave the wife and I two Henkels chef's knives and a cleaver. I had no idea how crappy the Chicago Cutlery knives were.

Save your money and by the good ones. They'll last for years and they'll always keep an edge.

Happy Thanksgiving from HHBBQ!

C.

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BQ,

Keep hounding them !! Don't take no for an answer... It's well worth the fun to make up for the wasted time of all the e-mails and calls. You should tell them, your a blogger and want a free top of the line sample to evaluate.

I've got really dull knives too from my wife's bridal shower in 1999... I just cook soft foods now to avoid the problem.

MilitantSquatter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!