BBQ Recipes: Smoked Sausage, Beer and Cheese Soup
After that diversion into that parallel universe, let's get back to some meat. This recipe comes to us from the folks over at About.com.
Smoked Sausage, Beer and Cheese Soup
Smoked Soup? Why not take all those hearty ingredients for your next soup out to the smoker to add that great smoky flavor to it. This rich soup uses smoked sausage, but while you're at it, why not throw in the potatoes too.
I've changed things around to more suit my tastes just a little bit.
- 1 pound mild sausage or if you like it spicy, get some chorizo or go really crazy and mix it up. Don't get stuck on only pork sausage, this works well with beef, pork or veal sausage.
- 12 ounces dark beer (stout if you like it)
- 1 large white potato, chopped
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 cup half and half
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Smoke the sausage (or heaven forbid, buy smoked sausage).
- In a large pot boil potatoes is in water until they start to get tender.
- Add onions, wine, salt, and sausage.
- Simmer until potatoes are completely tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until the soup thickens.