.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

BBQ Recipes: Roasted Pumpkin Soup

This comes to us from the fine folks at Weber.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't like pumpkin. I don't like pumpkin seeds and I don't like the smell of pumpkin when I cut it up into a Jack-O-Latern. I really don't like the smell when I cook it on a grill!

But many people do, fiercely I've found. My wife craves pumpkin pie this time of year and from what I know her obsession is far from unique. This soup comes close to the flavor of pumpkin pie and adds a mild smokey taste as well.

As you know I have a vegetarian in the house, and I've had to expand the cooking repertorie quite a bit lately. I made this yesterday for him and his vegetarian friends and they were suitably impressed. Personally, I hope my grill recovers quickly from the assault of the orange orb.

Roasted Pumpkin Soup


This easy-to-make soup adds bright color and delicious fall flavor to any autumn or holiday feast.

Ingredients:
  • 1 3-pound pumpkin
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup minced onions
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper
  • Nutmeg (optional)
Directions:
  • Cut top off pumpkin. With a large metal spoon, scrape seeds and stringy fiber's from interior.
  • Replace top and place in centre of cooking grate.
  • Grill until pumpkin flesh is very soft, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
  • Remove from grill and allow to cool.
  • Scoop out the pulp with a spoon and reserve.
  • In a medium stock-pot, melt the butter over low heat.
  • Sweat the onions in the butter for 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Add the wine and simmer until completely reduced.
  • Add the pumpkin pulp and the chicken broth; stir well.
  • Bring to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Stir in the salt and heavy cream and return to a simmer.
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!