BBQ Recipes: BBQ Soup (?)
The days are getting colder and my cravings for soup are kicking in. They always do around this time of year. It's an obsession that usually lasts until about mid-February when I get fed up with winter.
I found this on the internet this morning. This interesting recipe comes to us from the Department of Agriculture for the state of Colorado. I don't know who Pearl is and Pearl seems not to know the difference between barbecue and grilling, so just assume her barbequed meats are grilled. Let's put aside the pretentions and enjoy the food.
Pearl's BBQ Soup
Pearl Alter, Evans, CO
Servings: Makes 12 or more one cup servings
- 32 ounces of water
- two 14 ounce cans of beef or chicken broth
- one cup of chopped carrots
- two large stalks of sliced celery
- one small onion (any color)
- Approximately 1/2 cup five on-the- vine tomatoes (diced)
- five red, unpeeled potatoes (diced)
- one leftover bar-b-qued steak or bar-b-qued chicken breast
- four leftover bar-b-qued hamburgers
- five leftover bar-b-qued brats or hot dogs
- one tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine water and broth in large cooking pot.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Simmer on medium heat for fifteen minutes.
- Cut up all leftover bar-b-qued meats. Add to pot with all spices.
- Now add the tomatoes and simmer another fifteen-twenty minutes over medium-high heat.