.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

BBQ Tools: Woodflame

I just received Steve Raichlen's Up In Smoke monthly newsletter in my e-mail. He mentioned a new wood burning grill from Canada that I've never heard of; The Woodflame.

I was wondering what makes a wood burning grill unique as I burn wood on my grills all the time. Even as a kid, I burned wood on the grill. Every campfire I ever cooked on used wood. So why would America's master barbequer recommend a specific wood burning grill?

Well, the Woodflame grill is a unique grill that uses 100% recycled wood cubes as its food source. You can cut your own wood as well, just make sure it's hardwood. From what I can gather from the website, you place a couple of cubes into a sterno like tube underneath the grilling surface and light them. The fire is then regulated by fans in the base. They claim that "collector trays and heat shields under the grill ensure Woodflame barbecues provide excellent cooking control by eliminating flare-ups from dripping fat."

The Woodflame Grill also claims (and I have no reason to doubt this claim, nor the previous claims) "provides the heat of a 60,000 Btu barbecue. Grill temperature exceeds 537°C (1,000°F)." Wow. That's incredibly hot and way to hot for true barbeque. Make no mistakes about this folks, this is a grill not a barbecue.

There's one disturbing claim on their website which I'd love to investigate further... "Because it burns wood so efficiently, Woodflame does not give off smoke. Only your food is steeped in wood-smoke flavour." I know that when cooking I don't want thick smoke engulfing my food, but without smoke is there flavor?

The Woodflame sounds interesting and I'd really love to try one out, but their small model, the Gusto (pictured above) is listed at Green Culture for $299. I wonder what the larger model the Delecto costs. $299 for a very small grill is a little rich for my blood. I can buy a lot of Weber Smokey Joes for that money.

9 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that the price tag is kind of hefty for the Delecto. However, consider this. There is no charcoal cleanup, it only takes 2 minutes (from startup) till you are actually grilling food, you can precisely control how hard the fan blows. It cools down fast compared to a regular charcoal grill. I just found out about this gril and I'm placing an order tomorrow. It's only $249.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Let me know what you think about it. I'm interested in how it cooks.

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger Chris F. said...

I have one. I love it. I Highly recommend it! I was a little skeptical at first about the quality but so curious that I couldn't resist. I love the idea of cooking with wood but don't have room for a wood pellet grill. I ordered mine online about a year ago and get more addicted each time I use it; now numerous times each and every month. Because of where I live, hardwood is everywhere and as long as it's thoroghly dry, you can't beat the flavor. Not to mention that it's free! Kingsford adds up a lot faster than the batteries needed to power the blower (roughly one set a year). The speed control allows me to grill over a wide range of temperatures and allows for near zero clean-up. Literally just ashes! I could go on and on but unless you buy it and try it, you'll always wonder what you're missing.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Where is there a US site that you can buy one from?

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Crawfish said...

Where can I buy one?

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger chaugar said...

"this is a grill not a BBQ"? hmmm. The fact that it can reach temps of 1000 F means that you can cook from a low temp to a high temp so you can bbq and grill with it, so in my opinion it's better than just a low and slow burning bbq. Regular BBQs can sear if you have all the burners on for 4-5 mins and waste a lot more fuel. This grill burns wood clean and efficiently. Hooray for the inventer. Also what is disturbing about a claim that it is smokeless? The reason being is that there is a drip pan that prevents fats from dripping into the fire and causing flare ups. That's where the excess smoke comes from.
"but without smoke is there flavor?" This grill imparts more wood flavor than your average LP grill. why??? Because it burns wood. duh...
Expensive?? maybe for the size, but consider a regular LP grill can cost over $1000, doesn't burn as hot, takes longer to heat up and cool down, and doesn't impart any wood smoke flavor unless you add wood chips.
I only wish they sell these here in the US. Maybe weber, or another big BBQ company should create a similar wood burning grill. It would sell like hotcakes.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
If you are looking for a Woodflame Delecto BBQ for sale .I have a unit that was bought last year (June 2008) for few weëks of camping and hunting trips.Barely used, very clean.
The unit comes with electric adaptor,transport cover...
I live in Montreal Canada and it can be delivered at very cheap price by Purolator,UPS... because it weighed only 18 pounds.
Reason for selling:I moved into a new block where all kinds of BBQ are forbiden...
If you want to receive pictures of the unit,please email me at:berchmans1@yahoo.ca and I will send you some...
Price :$275.00 a hell of a deal !!!!
Thank,
Jacques

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Rosy said...

Hello,
if you really think about it, Woodflame is really good quality. You definitly save money by the time you are using it. I saw that the company has a new website (www.woodflame.com) that you can finally buy one of their bbq online. Try it!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Rosy said...

Well, well, well. I just saw that we can now buy Woodflame's bbq online.

It's easy, look at it www.woodflame.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!