.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Book Review: How to Grill

How to Grill - The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques
Steven Raichlen
2001 - Workman Publishing

OK. I admit it. I'm a barbeque snob. I know the difference between barbecue and grilling. I know what it means to barbeque, to hot smoke, to cold smoke and to grill. And I take those definitions seriously. Probably a little too seriously.

Because of my self admitted snobbery and preference for barbecue over the more plebian art of grilling, I usually don't pay attention to "grilling" cookbooks. I've been known to dismiss them simply because the word "grilling" was on the cover.

Only recently have I come around and loosened my snobbery and begun to seriously read the grill cookbooks. So you need forgive me that this review is so late. "How to Grill" was published way back in 2001. I picked up "How to Grill" the other day at my first visit to the Christmas Tree Shops, along with some other cookbooks that I'll review later. I only paid $5.99 for this beautifully illustrated book.

This is a great book for the beginning griller. It has tons of recipes all fully illustrated with some amazing color pictures. One of my favorite picture series is on steaks. Most, if not all, of the popular cuts of steak are shown in full color. And it has photographs explaining the poke test. What's the poke test you say? It's a way to tell how done you steak is by poking it with your finger. Who needs thermometers?

The book covers everything from appetizers to desserts. Steaks, burgers, hot dogs, chicken, pizza; you name it, if it can be cooked on a grill Mr. Raichlen has provided a recipe for it.

"How to Grill" also strongly focuses on cooking with charcoal. Most recipes include instructions on how to properly build a charcoal fire for cooking. This alone has won this book a place in my heart.

I strongly recommend this book, especially at the amazing discount price of $5.99 for the beginning griller. Experienced cooks can even pick up some new tricks and inspirations. I know I learned a few things in the section on how to grill a whole lamb.

1 Comments:

At 3:49 AM, Blogger Curt McAdams said...

This is the book the really got interested in grilling beyond just putting stuff on a cheap gas grill. I agree that it's a great beginner book, and usually the one I recommend to people that want to start grilling. He also gets into indirect grilling, though not as far as bbq (How to Grill, not How to BBQ!). The how-to-build-your-fire pics are great, too, so you know what heat he is discussing for each recipe.

There are better books for purists, but this is a great get-your-feet-wet book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!