.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Monday, July 10, 2006

BBQ Equipment: Duraflame Quick Coals

BBQ Equipment: Duraflame Quick Coals - Light-A-Bag

I got a chance to grill some shrimp on a bag of Duraflame Quick Coals yesterday. Duraflame was giving away samples of this charcoal at the Guitarbeque event. I don't usually use quick coals like this or matchlight, but I thought I'd try them out on a quick cook.

The idea behind this charcoal is that you just lay the bag in the grill, light it, walk away for 10 minutes and you're ready to cook. The bag lit easily with a strong smell of wax. In a couple of minutes, paper ash was flying all over my yard.

After about 10 minutes the coals were lit, but there were still large sections of paper ash laying in the grill which eventually wound up on the cooked food.

The bag claims that there is enough charcoal for a small or medium grill. The grill I used to cook was the standard 22.5" diameter Weber Kettle and it wasn't enough by half.

So what's the verdict on this charcoal? Don't waste your money. They barely lasted long enough to grill 2lbs of jumbo shrimp. Stick with Kingsford.

I know I owe you a post on the Guitarbeque event. It's coming, but life is in the way right now. Please be patient.

4 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you got your money's worth...

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

You're right about that Neil. I just hope that my post prevents some other people from getting burned by a sub-standard product.

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to let you know Bzz Agent.com sent me a bag of Durra Flame Quick Coals and I am love. No more lighter fluid no more fooling around. They are completely plug and play to steal a high tech metaphore. I love them and recommend everyone check them out.

 
At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE ARE USING DURAFLAME FOR THE FIRST TIME - IN A FIREBOWL - IS THIS ADVISABLE?
THANKS
YEDB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!