.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Kamado!

Well, the arsenal's just been expanded. I now have a ceramic cooker. That makes a lot of cooking equipment to be stored in the garage. Who will become my favorite?

Way back in December, I found an ad for a BBQ smoker/Hibachi on Craig's List. The budget didn't allow my purchasing the smoker then, but that was in the past. The wife, God bless her, told me to go ahead and buy it. Looking at the original pictures, I was convinced it was an older model Big Green Egg. Turns out I was wrong. It's not a Big Green Egg at all, but and Imperial Kamado cooker that was built sometime in the 1960s!

Big Green Eggs and Kamado cookers are clay or ceramic based cookers that are used extensively in Japan. From what I understand, these cookers are extremely efficient and allow an incredible level of heat control.

As you can see in the pictures it's never been used. All the original parts are still there. Now I just have to figure out how it all works. I can't wait to use it. You know you'll be seeing more pictures and comments when I start to use it.

There's a whole new group of barbeque-rs that I'll be communicating with. If you're interested in the Kamado cookers, check out their user forum here. The Big Green Egg folks, have their own as well, and since this design is very similar to the egg, I'm going to be seeking advice from those folks too. You can hook up with them here.

On a side note, I'm sleeping over at my friend Chef Michele's house tomorrow in my first ever appearance as a guest blogger. Take a look at my treatise on living "high on the hog". Michele's blog is one of my favorites and contains all sorts of recipes and tips on being a frugal gourmet. Unfortunately, her blog is a little lite in the smoke department, but I guess that's gonna change -- WhiteTrash is in the house!

8 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Gustad said...

is this an actualy smoker? or is it more like a crock pot?

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Gustad,
Yeah - I thought the same thing, but you can use it to smoke, bake and roast. It's going to be fun finding out!

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger StaceyBelle said...

this hibatchi is hard core. happy smokin'... tell us how it tastes.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crock Pot?!?! No no no....
Ever see anyone build a BAF in a crock pot?

Looks cool WTBBQ! See you next month (will have a decision about cooking VS judging this weekend)

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be sure to do your research and before you buy a kamado. http://www.kamadofraudforum.org

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whitetrash BBQ what a find. I have cooked on a kamado since 1965. We've owned 3 of them. They are fragile since they can crack if hot and exposed to rain. The one we have now is the large one and I accidently tipped it over several years ago. Just glued it back together last year with high heat expoxy.
They are the best cookers around. We BBQ, smoke and steam on it. When smoking the meat stays moist and juicy like chicken and turkey. Smoked salmon is great with alder. Good luck! Chuck

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! If you have the firing instructions, you need to follow them religously! These old Kamados only need 15-30 briqs max. The Naked Whiz Ceramic FAQ's has manuals for these you can download, and give you the lowdown on these fun cookers!

swamprb

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great Christmas gift.. My dad is a huge barbecue cooker type and I haven't been able to find much that he doesn't have when it come to cooking--except for this! I can't wait to research it a little and find the perfect one. Kudos.

-Sylvia
Stock Pots

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!