Barbecue Lingo 2
Not much happening this week for me in the world of barbeque. Rumor has it that it's going to snow all weekend, and I'm working all day Saturday, so I don't see much chance for me to be lighting the pits.
So let's continue talking about BBQ Lingo. This is not yet meant to be a comprehensive dictionary, and I will add to it over time, so today, let's focus on the pro circuit. In no particular order, here's some more terms you should know.
- the sanctioned series of barbeque contests held around the country each year. Each circuit is sanctioned by one of the major barbeque societies. KCBS and MIM are the two largest, but there are many others around the country
- an organized group of men and women who love to barbeque
- an organization that sanctions and regulates BBQ contests
- from their website.."The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form. Our goal is to have barbecue recognized as America's Cuisine."
- the premier Barbeque society in the United States (IMHO)
- from their website.. "Memphis in May hosts the city's largest events like the Beale Street Music Festival, the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest and the Sunset Symphony. Memphis in May also produces extensive education, international, and economic programs for the city."
- the World Championship Barbecue Contest for the Memphis in May cooking circuit held every year during the moth of May in Memphis, TN.
- an all pork barbeque contest
- a contest were you are judged on your meat as well as your personality.
- from their website... ""
- an invitation only BBQ contest held yearly on the grounds of the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg, TN.
- two yearly contests held concurrently at the American Royal Complex in Kansas City
- the Open contest is open to anyone willing to pay the fee
- the Invitational is open only to KCBS sanctioned State Championship BBQ contest winners
- the largest Barbeque contest in the world
- the contest I am going to cook in by invitation next year