.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Paprika

Let's talk about BBQ spices. One of the primary spices used by just about every barbecue guru, junkie or commercial manufacturer is paprika. Paprika is a mild red pepper that gives most barbeque rubs or barbecue sauces their color. I always associated paprika with Hungarian and Spanish dishes, so I never really understood the connection to barbeque. However I do now.

According to the encyclopedia of spices, paprika, like all peppers, is native to South America. Since barbeque is said to have been invented by Native Americans, the connection is now obvious to me.

Here's the definiton of paprika from the encyclopedia of spices: Paprika is a fine powder ground from certain varieties of Capsicum annuum which vary in size and shape. They may be small and round (Spain and Morocco) or pointed and cone shaped (Hungary and California). They are larger and milder than chilli peppers. Paprika is produces from peppers ripened to redness, sometimes called ‘pimento’, the same as used to stuff olives. The powder can vary in colour from bright red to rusty brown.
Bouquet: slightly warm and sweet
Flavour: ranges from sweet and mild to pungent and fiery.
Hotness Scale: 2-6

In future posts I'll be talking about other BBQ spices, rubs and sauces. I have a lot of sauces and rubs to review from my Texas trip. Every barbeque master needs his own flavor signature and I've been working on mine. I've been creating my own rub and I will be putting my results on this here blog.

1 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger BlueMule said...

Paprika is probably the most common ingredient in your traditional "red" BBQ rub, aside from Salt and Pepper.

I think it's a wonderful spice.

Mule
http://howlinghogbbq.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!