.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Friday, May 13, 2005

Luling Texas

Luling is an old Texas town, in what seems to me, city boy that I am, to be in the middle of nowhere. Driving into town, you are hit with a strong smell of natural gas. At first I thought that there was something wrong with my car but opening the windows only made the smell worse. Then I saw it, the first oil well pump of my trip. Now I understood the odor. Luling takes special pride in them and decorates many of the pumps. The first one I saw had a whale on it. Here's some pictures of others, courtesy of the Luling Chamber of Commerce.
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Luling is also host of the annual Watermelon Thump. If you're anywhere near Luling during June 23 - 26, 2005, be sure to check it out. It's one of those things that could only happen in Texas

But let's talk about what's important, the barbecue of Luling. In Luling I found two barbeque joints, Luling BBQ, which was closed when I was in town, and the legendary City Market.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So, here it is my first restaurant review of a Texas BBQ joint.

City Market (No website)
633 E. Davis St.
Luling, TX
830-875-9019

Entering City Market I was immediately hit with wood smoke and silence. Smoke and silence are good indicators that you are about to eat some great barbecue. Why? Because people are too busy eating to talk and the smoke confirms a real wood fire.

City Market is divided into three rooms, two dining rooms, for lack of a better term, and the pit room. The pit room is located in the back of the main dining room. Its walls are composed of large windows that are hard to see through because of all the smoke stains. Entering the pit room is a religious experience; the smoke, the darkness, the heat and the smell of great barbeque envelope you.

You step up to the counter and order you meat by the pound and your sausage by the link. Your sides consist of onions, jalapeños and crackers. Your food is served on butcher paper which is also your plate and tray.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After gathering up your food, you go back to the main dining room to pay, buy soda (sorry pop - you're in Texas) and pick up some bread and cheese if you wish.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Settling down to eat, I started with the sausage. Every barbecue joint in Texas seems to make its own sausage. Texas BBQ sausage is much different from the smoked sausages that are available in New York. The force meat is much looser and much more mildly spiced. When you cut a Texas BBQ sausage, it's not uncommon for the meat to spill out of its casings. The sausage was excellent, mild, juicy and perfectly cooked. The brisket was perfectly cooked; tender, juicy and tasty. I was getting spoiled; there are so many great barbecue places in Texas.

Then I tried their sauce. City Market makes the best BBQ sauce I've ever had. Hands down. There sauce was an orange potion with spices floating throughout. It seems to be mustard based, but there was definitely a hint of tomato. It is unique. Unfortunately, they don’t bottle it. I was really surprised to find a great barbeque sauce in Texas. Texas barbecue is usually served and eaten dry.

The only food complaint, which I guess is a New York thing, is the cheese. All the BBQ joints in Texas Hill Country seem to serve the same cheese. It tastes like a cross between American cheese and a very mild cheddar. It’s very disappointing and doesn’t hold up to the flavors of all that great BBQ meat.

City Market is like a step back in time. They still honor old cooking methods, old furniture and old ideas. They could make some real money by having souvenirs available and setting up a website where you could buy there sauce and meat. I know I’d buy it. But, they excel in what really matters, their food. I’ve only been gone a week and I want to go back!

The previous 2 pictures are courtesy of RoadFood.com

14 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.lulingcitymarket.com/

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Well, that indeed is a link to a Luling City Market BBQ restaurant that is located in the galleria in Houston, TX.

I don't know if there's any realtionship between the two places. Maybe someone out there can enlighten me.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No relationship at all.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I GREW UP EATTING CITY MARKET BBQ. BELIEVE ME IT IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN THE BEST...THE SAUCE IS WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF....THAT PLACE IN HOUSTON HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ONE IN LULING ....I LIVE ON THE EAST COAST AND I CRAVE THE SMELLS, TASTES, AND SILENCE OF CITY MARKET BBQ IN LULING TEXAS

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! How can you choose the BEST Texas BBQ? Some is definately better thab others, but the worst Texas BBQ is better than the best California BBQ - not even close!!! City Market ranks in the top five I have tasted, and I have tasted most all of them. Cooper's in Llano is also in the top five.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Well, to me it was the best. I've enjoyed many Texas BBQ places, but there's something magical about City Market.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely the best bbq i've had.
as a child,on our way to San Antonio, Dad would get us City Mkt bbq with all the fixings. We would stop at a roadsite and have a feast.
you mean New York actually has bbq ?!

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be reply to post that no one cares about but I do--the Houston location for Luling City Market is no real relation to the REAL, long-term, best City Market--the other restaurant started its location to catch people who don't know the real deal--there is only 1 City Market--Luling City Market is a bbq restaurant and might be ok barbeque but I have never eaten there--why would I--the only reason to go to Luling to eat BBQ is the City Market location on Davis....
don't waste your time, money, or taste buds on anything but the real thang...

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT B.B.Q, GREW UP IN LULING AND LIVED THERE FOR 34 YEARS BEFORE I LEFT.... LOVE THE TOWN LOVE THE B.B.Q...CITY MARKET RULES !!!

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a City Market BBQ in Gonzales that is very good, but I have no clue if it's anything like the place in Luling.

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Sarah said...

Ok, first of all I would like to say that the "smell" in Luling is NOT the smell of natural gas....it's the smell of sulfur from the oil that runs through the town, and second of all.....I don't know of any NATIVE TEXANS that call soda or "coke", pop. My brother who has lived in Michigan for most of his life calls "coke", pop. AND as for the cheese...I don't know of many Texans who are concerned with the taste of the CHEESE when they go into a barbecue joint...I'm pretty sure they're there for the meat.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger TexasHorseLady said...

Wait. They serve cheese at Texas BBQ joints? How come I never noticed that in all these decades of eating Texas BBQ?

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in Texas, soda is called COKE or soda..NOT pop!!!!!!

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in Texas, a soda or pop or soft drink, whatever, is called a coke. we ask if you want a coke and when you reply yes, then we ask you what kind. (the most appropriate response is dr. pepper, unless you're eating bbq, then it should be a big red)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!