.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

The four flavors - A quest begins

Human beings can only distinguish four flavors in food, sweet, sour, salty and bitter. Everything we eat is a mixture of these four flavors. If you can balance these four flavors, you will have a winning recipe. Ketchup has been touted by some as the perfect example of the four flavors mixing perfectly; sweet from sugar, sour from vinegar, salty from salt and bitter from the tomatoes I guess.

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be working on creating my own BBQ rub. I'll use whatever I can find to create the perfect rub for chicken. I have an idea for a chicken that when smoked and finished is bright gold. After the rub I'll work on the mop and finally a finishing sauce. I’ll experiment with a marinade or using brine.

That's my goal for the next few weeks. I want to be able to submit a sparkling gold chicken, which tastes like BBQ for the contests in the spring.

Join the pursuit. Come back often and see how it goes.

2 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's your bbq rub coming along?

Brian Pearcy
brianpearcy@surfbest.net

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to think that there were four tastes, too, but then I found out that they sliped in another one on us: umami.
http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-uma1.htm
Throw a little MSG into your rub and you'll have it all covered.
The Soup Lady

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!