.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WhiteTrashBBQ

WhiteTrash BBQ -- Real Pit Barbecue from New York City. This is the story of a fire obsessed guy, living in Brooklyn, with a dream of producing award winning, competition busting, real Barbeque. Come live the dream as I compete around the country in the KCBS Championship Barbecue circuit.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Smoking Car #3 - The Hampton Smoker

Welcome back to the Smoking Car. This is our third trip in the Smoking Car and who do we meet today? Well, looky here, it's Matt from The Hampton Smoker. Good to see you Matt. So what's up with you?

"Well Robert, I just bought myself a new pit, a custom built Klose Backyard Chef. Damn she's nice, but I still miss my old ECB.

Whether you call it a grill, a pit, a smoker, or by a proper name (my Klose is called Wubby), each cooker that you choose becomes a part of your family. People will think I'm crazy, but like a pet, my smokers have each had a personality, and have aged (rusted, warped) right alongside me.

You can be sure that, although secret rub and sauce ingredients may be closely guarded secrets, most pitmasters will showcase their pit like a proud parent attending a child's recital. By the same token, lay a hand on someone's pit without their permission, and you're in deep trouble. The pride runs deep.

When I first purchased my ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann-- Brinkmann is a manufacturer) for $30 bucks at Kmart, I thought I had really scored. Well, yes and no. It was a poorly designed, R2D2 looking thing that had little to offer in terms of function. But, I made do and ate some fine bbq. Soon after, I was pulling cobwebs out of the ECB and cooking on the Char-Griller Smokin' Pro, another cheap-o cooker, but at least one looking like a smoker-- with a box on the end for burning wood.

She was my pride for many years. At first she was shiny and tight fighting, but soon she was a gritty, rusted, warped warrior, turning out 'que that defied the odds. She's sitting there, a wobbly, cardboard propped up, blocking the wind to fight off massive temperature fluctuations, shell of herself. She sits back now, and watches me cook on my new Klose, my Wubby, which is a more substantial smoker. She's retired for the foreseeable future, but I know she's still got it."

Well, we've reached another stop and Matt's heading home. Thanks for the story Matt. Talk to you soon. You'll be hearing a lot from Matt over the next few weeks. He's my co-conspirator in putting together NYC's First BBQ Contest - Grillin On The Bay!

6 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Nice job, WhiteTrash and BackyardChef. That contest sounds great! I'll be there....

Buy the way-- the url is
http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

la di da.......

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Ooops. Ok fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Randy said...

Nice unit from Klose. I live in CT and have had mine since 2000. I can do a 100lb hog---it just fits. A couple of times a year we throw on a hog and invite the street. It usually goes like this---I'll say to my wife on a Wednesday, "Honey, I ordered a pig for the weekend, we should call some people." I love just stuffing it with a mixture of salmon, brisket, pork shoulder, ribs, turkey, etc. to where I can barely get the the door closed and just let the magic happen. It has a special place in my backyard, and over time that area has become sacred ground---a holy place where I give tribute to all things great in BBQ!

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Is that hog in the vertical or the horizontal and how do you dress it-- temps, etc...? I've been wondering about doing that myself.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Randy said...

I put it in the horizontal which is 4 ft long. It just fits. I put it on barenaked. I've tried different rubs, brine, etc. in the past but it doesn't seem to make much difference and it's more work anyway. Smoke it about 5 hours at 200-225. A meat thermometer will tell you when it's done but 5 hours is a good gauge on when to start. The first time I did it I started at 5am and it was done at 10am----people weren't due to show until 5pm so it turned out a little dry---but still good. I also put a can (soup can works fine) under the belly because the mid-section tends to cave a little after it starts cooking---purely for looks. It turns out beautifully! I just pull it out, put it on a a large board, peel the skin back, and let everyone help themselves. I use to cut it all up and put the meat on a serving tray(s) but they seem to enjoy pulling right off the carcus. And it's much easier for me. You'll love it!!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Great stuff, thanks, Randy! I always wondered how big a pig would fit in there, and where to put it.

Now, I've gotta try one. People keep asking me about it and it sounds like time to take the plunge. I hope I remember to charge the camera. The BYC rocks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW WhiteTrash BBQ
Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by WhiteTrash BBQ.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

Search Popdex:
Ego Vereor Haud Sus!